Friedensreich Hunterwasser was a painter, architect, ecological activist & visionary. A world famous artist who lived for many years in NZ. Typical Hundertwasser style is wavy lines, irregular ceramic tiles, integrated small sculptures, coloured glass and live trees incorporated into architecture.
7 hours (minimum numbers apply)
$260pp includes entry
- Departing Paihia we stop at Hundertwasser’s final project; a set of public toilets in the small town of Kawakawa right here in the Bay of Islands & visit Te Hononga Hundertwasser Memorial Park.
- After Kawakawa we head on to Hundertwasser Art Centre & Wairau Maori Art Gallery which is built in the Whangarei Town Basin. It celebrates some of the finest work of Hundertwasser and contemporary Maori Art.
- Enjoy lunch from one of the many cafes close by and visit another unique attraction in the Whangarei Town Basin – Claphams Clock Museum. Take a walk through the history of time from ancient sun, sand and water clocks, to rare antique clocks, and wacky, zany, unbelievable clocks.
- Visit the Rolling Ball Clock: Is it a kinetic sculpture, a cultural attraction, or a clock? It is all of these and more.
- Late afternoon we head back to Paihia.
Live Laugh Love wine and beer! Visit local vineyards and craft beer makers
Explore Kawiti Glow worm Caves, Hundertwasser Toilets, Vintage Railway
A 1-hour adventure to make the most of your day in the Bay. Friendly, fun and informative
Enjoy local tastings, great scenery, art & crafts, & the Stone Store
Visit attractions to suit you in Mangonui & Doubtless Bay
Visit the Hokianga: Opononi, Omapere, Rawene or Waipoua